So David Crowder’s song “How He Loves Us” has always been a favorite of mine. I have heard it many times, and I love it so much that back when I was planning a wedding, I had the intention on playing it before the ceremony as a worship song for everyone to sing.
Well, today as I was waiting for my ride to work, this song came on the radio. But something was different this time, it was almost as if I really listened to the lyrics this time. And I mean REALLY listened. And really comprehended what they said and more importantly, what they meant. Here is what I got from it:
He is jealous for me
- God is a jealous God (Deut 6:15). He desires and wants our complete attention and does not like it when we let other things or people take our attention away from Him. He wants and desires our love and our hearts.
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree, bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy
- Think of a hurricane. It is a very strong and mighty force that can cause severe damage, but you cannot see it. You can see the trees bending and swaying, debris flying, and properties being damaged, but those are only the effects from the hurricane. You cannot see the the actual winds, the force, behind the hurricane. Same with God and His Holy Spirit. You can not physically see it, but you can definitely see and feel it’s effects. His love and mercy for us is so great, yet we cannot see it, but we can feel its effects; The peace it gives us in our souls during times of trials, the love you feel when loneliness has overcome your heart, the comfort in knowing that God is in control and has the best intentions for you and your life, or even just the joy and happiness we get from knowing and feeling God’s love for us. The Holy Spirit, as well as God’s love for us, are very strong and powerful forces, yet cannot be seen.
When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory
- God has the ability to fill our hearts with such love and grace that we can no longer see/feel the afflictions in our lives. Afflictions can be defined as a state of pain, distress, or grief. His glory eclipses (or simply blocks out and hides) all pains and grievances in our lives. No matter what we may be going through, God’s glory is stronger that our trials.
And I realized just how beautiful You are and how great Your affections are for me
- Someone who loves as deeply as God does has got to be the most beautiful of all things. There are several references to His “beautiful Holiness” in the Bible (Psalm 90:17, 96:9, 1 Ch 16:39 and more) His holiness is probably more beautiful than any of us could even fathom. And His affections for us are also more than we can fathom. 1 John 3:1 says ” How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!” His love for us is so great, this is just one of many verses where God’s love for us is touched upon. But as the song states, He has GREAT affections for each and every one of us.
Oh, How He loves us oh, Oh, how He loves us. How He loves us, oh.
- I really don’t feel like I have to embellish on this, the chorus pretty much speaks for itself. God loves us! Plain and simple
We are His portion and He is our prize. Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes. If His grace was an ocean we’re all sinking.
- His love for us is so great and powerful that we cannot escape from it. No matter how hard we may try to run and hide form it, it will always be here. The last line there, ‘if His grace was an ocean, we’re all sinking’ is my favorite verse in the whole song. Crowder compares God’s all consuming love to an ocean. When you’re in the ocean, the water surrounds your body and if you fall into a current, it will completely consume you. Same with Christ’s love, if we allow it to take over, it will completely consume our body and can change our hearts and minds, and completely change the way we live our lives.
And Heaven meets Earth like an unforeseen kiss and my heart turns violently inside of my chest.
- A kiss is an action shared between two individuals who share a mutual, loving,and intimate feeling for one another. God desires an intimate relation ship us. Intimate simply means a close personal relation. Though it is commonly connected with a romantic relation in today’s society, it does not have to be. God wants an intimate relationship with us, simply meaning He wants a close and personal relationship with each of His children. He wants us to tell Him our thoughts, emotions, fears, joys, all of it. He wants us to share every part of our life with Him. When we have that intimate relationship with Him, we receive the blessings that come with it. In this case, a kiss, between Heaven, where He resides, and Earth, where His children reside.
And I don’t have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way, He loves us…
- Sometimes we allow our pasts to interfere with our relationship and worship with God. Hebrews 9:13 says that with Christ’s death and resurrection, we can effectively clear our conscience when we ask our sins to be forgiven so that the guilt will not interfere with our worship of Him. We don’t have to let our past mistakes or regrets interfere with our worship because… well He loves us.
Oh, How He loves us oh. Oh, how He loves us. How He loves us, oh….